SOS Carson City is a nonprofit organization that concentrates on preserving Carson City's unique identity, character and charm by maintaining green space when and where possible. We believe green space is smart growth that offers a holistic set of community of life benefits. Click the button below to learn more about the economic, social and environmental benefits of green space.
However, SOS Carson City also acknowledges that development is a realistic and necessary component of any communities growth. While maintaining lands in an undeveloped state may be preferable, we respect property owners rights and entitlements to develop their lands. In circumstances where preservation is not possible, SOS Carson City fights to hold permit and planning agencies to existing planning laws. We believe that if existing planning laws are upheld, there will be less disruption to the described economic, social and environmental benefits.
What we do
SOS Carson City engages in a number of activities aimed at fulfilling our mission:
- Working with the Carson City Open Space Program to maximize greenspace and recreational opportunities
- Educating area residents and governmental officials on the value of preserving green space
- Informing area residents and governmental officials about development proposals that exceed current zoning and master plan requirements and guidelines
- Setting up tax deductible accounts for litigation against developments which violate planning laws
- Making elected officials accountable for upholding general plans and zoning ordinances
- Endorsing those nonpartisan candidates or elected officials who support the goals of this organization and informing the public of the reason for such political endorsements.